“I’ve never seen such an array of opportunities in a small school” – Thirsk School Games Officer Duncan Burgess
“Just wanted to say again how blown away I was at how much ‘sporty’ stuff you are doing for your pupils – great work on all fronts!” – Duncan Burgess (September 2019)
We are incredible proud of the range of sporting activities we provide all our children with at Sutton on the Forest Primary School. Children have the opportunity to take part in a variety of sports each term, with school clubs and external providers giving a wealth of sporting experiences to enable children to keep active, make friends and compete at local and district levels of competition.
We ensure that teaching and learning opportunities meet the needs of all our pupils and recognise that there are many benefits to ensuring that all our children participate in sports or other physical activities because it:
- Develops strength, balance, coordination and physical endurance
- Supports the establishment of healthy lifestyles for life
- Strong physical wellbeing supports positive mental wellbeing
- Develops social skills, especially team work
- Develops friendships
- It is fun!
Sport Premium Funding is universal and therefore our aim will be for maximum benefit for all our pupils. Our intention is to use PE sport premium funding in the following ways:
- to engage all children in regular physical activity
- to raise the profile of PE and achieving an active lifestyle
- to increase confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- to provide a broader experience of a range of sports and activities for all pupils
- to increase participation in competitive sport
Our provision includes:
- Each week 2 hours of taught PE is timetabled for every child, covering a range of skills and sports.
- All classes take part in Outdoor Learning. Reception weekly. Year 1-6 at least twice a half term.
- Swimming for Year 3/4 children to enable them to swim 25 metres and be safe in and around water (typically a 6 week block of lessons).
- Participation in cluster sport tournaments, district and area finals.
- External provider clubs and lessons which can include: football coaching, rugby with York City Knights, cricket with Chance to Shine Cricket and multi-skills with our school sports coach.
- Bikeability training for Year 6 children.
- 3 days of specialist outdoor adventurous activities for Year 5 as part of a residential trip; canoeing, body surfing; climbing; orienteering; beck scrambling.
- Regular enrichment days such as: circus skills, rock climbing walls, obstacle courses and school games intra-school competitions.
Please click on the links to download our Sports Funding Reports