School meals are a special time here at Sutton-on-the-Forest School. We are very lucky to have a fabulous school cook, Mrs Hodgson, and Kitchen Assistant, Mrs Wagstaff, who serve delicious homemade food everyday, and the majority of our children have school meals. The whole school eats lunch together in our spacious school hall.
The cost of school meals is currently £2.58 per day. This term’s menu can be found here, and vegetarian meals are available and specific dietary requirements and intolerances can be accommodated.
Midday Supervisors and teaching staff take care of the welfare of the children during lunchtime.
Universal free school meals for infants
If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, they are automatically entitled to a free school meal. Parents who are on benefits and meet the below criteria are still encouraged to apply for additional funding (pdf / 337 KB), known as Pupil Premium funding. This benefits the school and helps increase your child’s attainment. During the current roll out of Universal Credit if your child is approved for free school meals they will gain ‘transitional protection’ until at least March 2022.
Qualifying for free school meals
To qualify for free school meals in other years, you must fulfil one of the following criteria:
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods (£616.67 per month);
- Income Support;
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
- Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit;
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are also not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual household gross income that does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by HMRC); or
- Working Tax Credit run-on, paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Please note that contributions-based benefits, including contribution-related Jobseekers’ Allowance do not entitle you to claim free school meals.
We encourage families who think they may be entitled to free school meals to apply, either by picking up a form in the school office or applying online at the North Yorkshire County Council website
Applications are usually processed within five working days. You will be notified in writing, either by post or email, if your child is entitled and we will also let the school know. You should continue to pay until confirmation comes through.
Free school meals claims cannot be backdated. They are awarded from the date we receive the application, once eligibility is confirmed. This is because there is a legal requirement for a request to be made, before a free school meal can be provided.
If you are not entitled to free school meals, you will be notified in writing.